Spread Your Wings And Fly

Spread Your Wings And Fly
Spread your wings and fly

Friday, January 13, 2012

The Lion Roars

The lion roars outside my home. His breath harsh, and cruel. His claws striking all who dare enter his domain. He roams relentlessly,  seeking helpless victims - howling in satisfaction as we mere humans freeze in our tracks. He is king. His reign, he knows, is short. The day will inevitably come when his icy fangs will melt, giving way to Spring’s welcome embrace. But until that day, the lion roars. Some days he may lay silent, seducing us in his glistening beauty. But take heed. His fangs will once again strike. His roar will once again bellow, as the king fights the inevitable, to retain his frigid throne.

Okay, I may be exaggerating a wee bit. Today is the first real day of winter in our parts. We have been spoiled. Lulled into a false sense of relief. Each day that the temperatures remained above freezing, each day that it rained rather than snowed, we celebrated. Well, I didn’t celebrate the rain, especially when I was hauling grocery bags to my door, but at least I wasn’t trudging through six inches of snow. Well, that came to an end this morning.

Blowing snow slashed my face as I attempted to let the dogs out. The latch on the chain was frozen and I wasn’t too happy when I had to bundle up, grab my husband’s hammer and step into the raging storm, to dislodge the ice from the latch. The lion was roaring hysterically at that moment. If I didn’t make it clear before, I am not a lover of winter. I really hate windy, snowing, frigid, yucky, winter days, such as today.

But, with that said, I am thankful that we have not been attacked by winter’s cruel roar, as some of our country. Snow by the foot, or numerous feet, is not for me. So on this bitter day, when the lion howls outside my home, I am thinking of those who don’t have homes to protect them from his claws. Those who may only have a box between themselves, and the lions harsh breath. Those who may not be able to afford heat to keep their families warm, or who are forced to work outside during this assault. My thoughts and prayers go to those in Alaska and other parts of our country who are measuring their snow fall by the foot - or even yard.
Blessings to all

No comments:

Post a Comment